I was inspired by a documentary and couldn’t shake my need to visit the General. Fairly quick, kinda tasty, really fried, and sweet. Je suis Tso.
1 pound of chicken (I prefer thighs)
Some mayonnaise for coating chicken*
Dry Coating (inspired/copied from Serious Eats):
½ cup of flour
½ cup of corn starch
½ teaspoon of baking powder
some salt/pepper to taste (I personally prefer it on the salty side)
1 bottle of general or orange chicken sauce
Orange zest to taste (less is better)
Lots of high heat safe oil
- Cut your chicken into small little pieces and coat in mayonnaise. *Mayonnaise was my egg bath substitute due to my lack of eggs in the fridge and worked well. Good thing because I don’t support abortion.
- Combine the dry coating ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Place coated chicken in dry bath and toss like a deflated football.
- Fill a pot with oil, you don’t need as much as you think and heat to 350 degrees. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Try to maintain oil temperature at 350 degrees (ie you need to increase heat after you add the chicken).
- Remove chicken and place in a pan.
- Add General sauce and toss at mediumish heat and add orange zest to taste.
I’m too poor to have a wok, but my non-stick pan worked OK. I went easy on the sauce, but add as much as you like.
- Heat until your desired caramelization.
And there you have it.
Today’s Recipe Rating:
Novelty Rating: 3 of 5 stars.
Likelihood of Repeat: 100% (still have most of the bottle left and chicken is cheap)
Lesson Learned: Don’t listen to spouse when she insists on adding
more and more orange zest.