…because some things are worth trying again after the first time didn’t quite turn out 10 years ago.
Leftover pumpkin seeds from carving 2 medium-large pumpkins
Arbitrary Amounts of…
Seasoning combinations (amounts to taste):
BBQ: brown sugar, ground cumin, chili powder
Sweet: Sugar, cinnamon
- Clean the seeds.
- Boil for 10 minutes in salt water.
- Drain the seeds in a colander.
- Spread seeds onto a baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, plus seasoning of your choice (see above for what I did).
- Roast seeds at 325F for 15-22 minutes, taste testing a few seeds at 15 minutes.
- Optional step: accidentally touch the burning hot pan and spill 1/6 of the seeds.
This Week’s Trial Recipe Rating:
Novelty Rating: 4 of 5
I tried roasting fresh pumpkin seeds once years ago, and it was dry and not tasty. This method with boiling first was delicious!
Likelihood of Repeat: 75%
Totally worth doing in 365 days when I have fresh pumpkin seeds again!
Lesson Learned: Boo!
11/1/14 edit: these are not as crispy and tasty second or third day, unless you toast them up a little again.